Thursday, October 29, 2015

Studio 5: Creative Clothes Pin Crafts


You know that feeling you get when you make something and you're super proud of it?  You smile, you stand back and admire, you wonder who in your family would appreciate your craftiness...and then you call your friend. :)

That's exactly how I felt making this clothes pin pine tree.  I really can't get enough of it.    It's very old-world to me, rustic, yet modern.  
Initially I planned on doing just wreaths for Studio 5 (see below) but found an example of a tree made with the clothes pins.  I liked the idea, but wanted to improve on the design.  The trees I had seen online all used a paper towel base.  I used a foam tree form available at any craft store.  This is a more sturdy base, plus when you apply the hot glue on the clothes pin, they melt into the base a bit, making it more secure.


I stained the clothes pins with Antique Walnut, which gives it a nice warmth.  You could paint the pins, but what I really love about this is the decorative lines at the end of each pin, which really pops with the stain.  Use a stray stain though, it goes much, much quicker.  I just placed all my pin halves in a box.  Took it outside to spray.   Keep shaking the box to expose more unstained areas until completed.  It dried pretty quickly, but give it about 30 minutes.

I picked up Happy Holiday Lazer cut wood piece at Michaels Crafts.  LOVE IT!  I use a different design a little farther down.

I had the berry garland on hand and really debated on using it, as I truly love it bare, but in the end, liked the pop of red.
You'll need the following supplies to make this tree.
  1. Foam Tree Base 12" high (but you could do any size)
  2. 100 Clothes pins (3 1/4")
  3. Antique Walnut Spray Stain
  4. Hot Glue
  5. Toilet paper roll
  6. Tree topper and/or decorations

Spray Foam Tree form until covered and dark.
Pull apart all the clothes pins, place some in a box and spray stain until everything is covered.  Repeat until all the pins are stained.

Apply Hot glue to back of (on top only) to four pins at a time.  This will save time, plus give the glue a chance to cool off a bit.

Start with just four pins in each corner of form, about 1" from bottom at about 45 degree angle.  Continue to fill in until pins are tight together, but not overlapping.

Continue to build layer upon layer, overlapping and placing pins so the fall in between pins below.  This will work for the first few layers, but as the form becomes narrower, you will start to use less pins per row, so you'll have some pins that will fall right on top of the pin below.  No worry, just make sure on tne next row, you place pins on either side of that doubled up pin.

As you get higher it becomes more challenging, but don't stress about it too much, as after the tree is done you can go back and fill in some blanks with extra pins.

The hardest part is the top, as it's very narrow.

Cut a piece of toilet paper roll 1 1/2" wide and form a cone, hold in place with hot glue.  Glue this to the top of the cone to create an extension of the form and something for the pins to adhere to.  Use 8 pins for the top.  Leave a bit of space between opposing pins so you can place the star ornament in it (if you are using it).  

Enjoy, this was SO much fun to make!

Photo Clothes Pin Wreath

It was something like this that inspired the whole clothes pin crafty time!  But of course, clothes pins are practical as well, they do, afterall, pin things, so why not photos!  This a wreath I made for my son and his new bride.  VERY quick and fun to make.

You'll need a 12" craft ring, 60 clothes pins (I used two different sizes; 3 1/4" and 2 3/4"), decorative scrapbooking paper, hot glue and various decorations.





Cut all your paper to the size of the clothes pins you're using.  Glue them on top of the clothes pins.  For a finished look, lightly sand off the edges.  Position all the clothes pins so they are evenly spaced.  Remove one at a time and glue in place.  I positioned every other clothes pin pin-side out and every other pin-side in.
Clothes Pin Necklace

Clothes pins come in all sizes.  I glued these tiny gold ones on a key ring and then glued a decorative button in the center.  I actually wore this on Studio 5 but we completely forgot to mention it.  But if you want to see what it looks like watch the video.

Funny thing...the morning I taped Studio 5 I was watching Good Morning America.  They showed a picture of Chloe Kardashian and guess what she was wearing?  A very similar sunburst design as earrings.  Hey!  I'm trendy!

Clothes Pin Votive

This is BY FAR the easiest project using clothes pins.

You need a tuna can and 17 clothes pins.

Spray the tuna can some neutral color and let dry thoroughly.

Pin along edge.  You really don't need to glue.  I think took it outside, held the base in my hand sprayed just the tops of the pins with a oak spray stain.  It was simple and pretty just like that, but you could add a simple jute and flower (below) or be more decorative as wish.

A row of these will be pretty as a centerpiece on my Thanksgiving table.
















More to come!




2 comments:

Christy said...

What brand of spray stain did you use?

Susan Neal said...

Hi Christy, good question. I didn't post it because I think this is pretty old stain that I probably bought in Canada. The stain I used on the tree is Design master: Walnut Wood Tone. The stain I used for the other projects is Minwax Wood Finish: Golden Oak. Goodluck!

Q's Creative Card Classes's Fan Box

Contact Me

Favorite Quote

"The art of being
HAPPY lies in the
POWER of extracting
happiness from
COMMON things."
~Henry Ward Beecher

Subjects

 

Q's Creative Card Making Kits | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

01 09 10